Pages

    13 July 2009

    Levet In; Quigley Out: Open Championship, Turnberry

    Frenchman Thomas Levet was the beneficiary of Brett Quigley's decision to turn down a spot at this week's Open Championship at Turnberry, Scotland.

    American Quigley was in thanks to his second-place finish at the John Deere Classic on the PGA Tour but declined. This meant Levet was the next available candidate according to the world rankings - he is currently 82nd in the world.

    "My heart's not into playing the British [Open]," Quigley said. "I know that sounds crazy for a major, the Open at Turnberry, and I love the golf over there.

    "There are a million reasons to go - I just feel like it's going to be better for me to go to Milwaukee and go with my family."


    His loss is Levet's gain:

    "I'm playing well and I hit the ball low, which you need to do at the Open.

    "I still knew I could get in by playing well at either the French or Scottish Opens, but I didn't realise until last Thursday that I was high up on the reserve list."

    No comments: